Island Community Action (ICA) is a small charity based on Portland, Dorset. We formed in 1999 to support the local community through activities and services that achieve one or more of the following aims:
- Tackle deprivation and improve mental, physical and social wellbeing, including reducing isolation and loneliness, food poverty and malnutrition.
- Support residents to live happier, healthier, more socially connected and independent lives for longer.
- Increase life chances and quality of life through ‘hands on’ experiences, learning and training, helping individuals reach their full potential.
- Support those wishing to volunteer or offer volunteering roles, helping to increase the number of local volunteers and create a more cohesive, fulfilled and engaged community.
- Support local residents, groups and organisations to create and deliver their own community-based solutions.
- Inspire and support collaborative working in order to share best practice and resources, reduce costs and co-create more robust, people-centered and sustainable solutions.
- Support and showcase local initiatives and activities that promote, improve and protect the local area, its community, culture, economy, health, heritage and natural environment.
- Contribute towards local regeneration.
ICA works across Portland (population 12,844) and nearby Wyke Regis (population 5,571) – Source: 2011 Census. Office for National Statistics.