Helping Hands is ICA’s project for older people and those impacted by disability and / or serious, life-limiting or terminal illness.
The activities and services provided through Helping Hands include:
- Benefits Surgery (with AgeUK)
- Legal Advice (with Pengillys Solicitors).
- At Home support…
- Befriending (face-to-face, telephone and pen pals)
- Cleaning (paid service, delivered by local businesses)
- Dog walking
- Gardening (paid service, delivered by a local business)
- Community-based activities…
- Chesil Art Group (offered on Portland and in Wyke Regis)
- Tiered exercise classes, including Get Together club (gentle seated), Osteocise (mid-range), Fit+ (advanced) and Yoga.
- Community Crooners Choir (currently still on hold due to COVID-19)
- Lunch clubs…
- The Dining Room
- The Sunday Lunch Club
- Monthly lunch outings
- Senior’s Christmas Lunch.
- Purely social…
- Cash and prize bingo
- Coffee mornings
- Special events (e.g. Jubilee celebrations, cream teas and other public holiday events).
- Transport (cars and wheelchair accessible minibus).
- Coming soon…
- Good Neighbour Scheme (small jobs and errands)
- Pre-retirement workshops
- End of live advice, information and signposting.
In addition, ICA works with a range of external organisations (e.g. GPs, Adult Social Services and NHS) about potential / future ICA referral care packages and support for clients.
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW MIGHT BENEFIT FROM ANY OF HELPING HAND’S ACTIVITIES OR SERVICES (OR YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THEM) PLEASE GET IN TOUCH.
Helping Hands is grateful to have received funding towards our transport service from the Hall & Woodhouse Community Chest (for 2021-22).